Social media has a key role to play in today’s modern world. So let’s take a closer look at the importance of developing healthy social media habits.
Disclaimer: This information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation.
POST WITH CARE AND THINK BEFORE YOU SHARE
Social media has a key role to play in today’s modern world. It lets us connect with each other any time and anywhere. On the flip side social media can have a negative effect on our health and wellbeing. Therefore, it’s important to develop some healthy habits around our social media use such as setting daily limits, and:
- Not checking your social media accounts as soon as you wake up, or
- Measuring your success by the number of new likes or followers
TIP: Get the most out of social media by following people that have a positive effect on you. Also finding content that informs, inspires and makes you smile.
SOCIAL MEDIA AND LOOKING FOR WORK
Social media is a great way for job seekers to stay up-to-date with the latest opportunities. But while it’s a popular way for recruiters to engage with their talent pool, social media can trip you up if you don’t follow some basic protocols including (but not limited to):
- CENSOR YOURSELF: Make sure your posts portray you in a positive light, just in case a potential employer searches your name.
- UNDERSTAND SETTINGS: Be savvy with your privacy settings and know exactly what information people can see about you online.
- BE SECURE: Keep your passwords secret and accounts secure and avoid your account being hacked by a prankster friend.
REMEMBER: The internet has a long memory, so if you’re applying for work it’s always a good idea to Google yourself and see what pops up.
SOCIAL MEDIA AND YOUR JOB SEARCH
When used properly, social media can be a great tool to help in your job search and stay up-to-date with everything your recruitment agency has to offer. Keep great opportunities coming your way by checking out Labourpower’s social pages, including Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn!
MORE TIPS FOR HEALTHY SOCIAL MEDIA HABITS
- ENGAGE WITH PURPOSE: Know exactly what you want to achieve before you login e.g. connecting with friends and loved ones, looking for a job, or staying up-to-date with events happening in your local area.
- REMEMBER – REAL LIFE ISN’T PERFECT: Try not to follow accounts that make you feel envious or inadequate. Keep a sense of reality and avoid comparing your normal life to other people’s holidays.
FINALLY: Organisations such as Beyond Blue have valuable tips on how to manage social media in a positive way. Visit their website for more information www.beyondblue.org.au
WELLNESS GOES 24/7
If you or someone you know needs help, it’s important to speak to your Supervisor, Labourpower Representative or Labourpower HR.
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and is committed to wellness in the workplace. We are proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.