It’s the festive season which can be a fun time for some but a stressful and challenging time of year for others.
Shift workers often find themselves working around the clock and missing out on time with loved ones. While COVID-19 has added another level of chaos with many missing out on those catch-ups planned with family and friends to celebrate.
This year it’s more important than ever to make sure that you’re looking after your health and wellbeing.
- Make sure that you prioritise your wellness by eating healthily, drinking lots of water, exercising regularly and getting enough sleep
- If you can’t spend time with friends and family in person, make sure you find other ways to stay connected such as a phone message or a video call (Facetime, Zoom etc)
CHANGE YOUR EXPECATIONS
- Avoid putting pressure on yourself to create the perfect celebration and instead change your expectations. It’s okay to say no to events or to arrange a special catch-up on another day.
SPEND TIME OUTDOORS
- Studies show that spending time outdoors can have a positive impact on mental health. Go for a walk, have a picnic in a park, spend time at the beach (and don’t forget your sun protection)
- If you’re feeling alone or lonely, it’s important to reach out and talk to someone.
The mental health professionals at Beyond Blue’s Support Service are available over the holiday period 24/7 on 1300 22 4636. Also, they are available via online chat (3pm-12am AEDT) or email responses (within 24 hours). There are also other services to contact for support over this time if you need someone to talk to.
WELLNESS GOES 24/7
If you or someone you know needs help, it’s important to speak to your Supervisor, Labourpower Representative or Labourpower HR.
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and is committed to wellness in the workplace. We are proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.