Shift work can disrupt your body clock which not only affects your sleep patterns but can also wreak havoc on your diet.
Disclaimer: The following information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation
EATING A HEALTHY MEAL CAN IMPROVE HOW YOU FEEL
- Firstly, eating healthy food regularly makes shift work easier to manage
- In addition, it gives you the right fuel for your body, so you have the energy you need to get you through the day
Tip: Aim to maintain a regular and healthy eating pattern throughout each day.
WHAT SHOULD I EAT AND WHEN?
Shift work can put a strain on your body. So, eating a healthy diet is important for your:
- Day-to-day energy levels
- Protecting your health, and
- Reducing your risk of chronic illness
Avoid skipping meals, eat regularly and over a 24-hour period make sure you:
- Firstly, aim for 3 main meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner-style meals)
- Also, include 2-3 healthy snacks
HEALTHY EATING TIPS FOR SHIFT WORKERS
- Make an eating plan for the week that helps you organise food around your shifts
- Eat lighter meals and snacks during your shift as they are easier to digest
- Avoid high fat foods to reduce heartburn and indigestion
- Watch the portion sizes for each meal (try not to overeat)
- Choose healthy snacks that contain some protein
- Avoid sugary snacks and drinks
- Keep up your fluids and drink plenty of water
- Limit your caffeine intake (including coffee, tea, cola and energy drinks)
- Avoid caffeine about 6 hours before bedtime (so that you can get good sleep)
- Avoid alcohol after a night shift
- Eat a small meal after your shift so you don’t go to bed hungry
For further information visit: Shifting nutrition: A shift workers guide to nutrition
WELLNESS GOES 24/7
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and is committed to wellness in the workplace. We are proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.
We look forward to bringing you more health and wellbeing tips as part of our FUEL YOUR BODY series.