It’s important to make your mental health and wellbeing a priority. Most mental illnesses don’t improve on their own so if left untreated may get worse over time. Let’s take a closer look at mental wellness and ways to take care of your mental health and wellbeing.
Disclaimer: This information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation
MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS
According to the World Health Organisation, mental health is a state of well-being in which every individual realises his
or her own potential. Also where every individual:
- Can cope with the normal stresses of life
- Can work productively and fruitfully
- Is able to make a contribution to her or his community
Mental health issues can affect your emotions, thoughts, behaviours and productivity levels.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Signs and symptoms include (but are not limited to):
- Sadness, low energy levels and feeling down
- Excessive fear, worry, anxiety or extreme guilt
- Extreme mood changes (highs and lows)
- Lack of engagement and chronic loneliness
- Dramatic changes to eating and sleeping habits
TIPS FOR LOOKING AFTER YOUR MENTAL HEALTH
- Eat a healthy diet and try to build some regular exercise into your week
- Keep in touch with family, friends and work colleagues and don’t be afraid to discuss your feelings
- Do an activity that you enjoy and/or that you know you are good at
- Take a break from your usual routine as a change of scenery or a change of pace can be beneficial to your mental health
- It’s important to get help when you need it and a good place to start is to talk to your GP
- Organisations such as Beyond Blue have some fantastic resources and you can also get immediate support by calling their helpline (available 24/7)
- Call 1300 22 4636 or visit https://www.beyondblue.org.au/
LOOKING AFTER MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING DURING COVID-19
How can you look after your mental health and wellbeing during the coronavirus outbreak?
Firstly, try to stay connected with loved ones. Also, make sure you access reputable sources for quality up-to-date information
In addition to this, there are FREE resources and mental wellbeing support available to help you cope with any COVID-19 concerns, for instance, thiswayup.org.au and https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/
WELLNESS GOES 24/7
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and is committed to wellness in the workplace. We are proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.