Fatigue can be described as an overall constant feeling of tiredness. Or a lack of energy that interferes with your day-to-day activity.
Disclaimer: The following information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation
TO WORK AT YOUR BEST YOU NEED ENOUGH REST
Fatigue can result in a lack of alertness increasing the risk of incidents or injury on site, particularly for people who:
- Operate machinery or mobile equipment
- Work at heights
- Work with flammable or explosive substances
- Carry out hazardous work such as electrical work
- Drive a road vehicle
IMPORTANT: Fatigue is mental or physical exhaustion that reduces your ability to work safely and effectively.
SIGNS OF FATIGUE
Understanding the signs of fatigue helps you take care of your own safety and wellbeing. Take time to monitor your levels of alertness and ability to concentrate while at work and assess your energy levels after work. Also look out for signs of fatigue in people working around you.
Common signs of fatigue include (but are not limited to):
- Feeling tired even after sleep
- Blurred vision or impaired visual perception
- Difficulty concentrating
- Short term memory problems
- Slow reflexes or reduced hand-eye coordination
- A need for more sleep on your days off
IMPORTANT: Workers with fatigue can also impact the health and safety of those around them.
MANAGING FATIGUE IN THE WORKPLACE
- Firstly, always follow Labourpower’s policies and procedures relating to fatigue
In addition, make sure that when you’re at work you:
- Take your allocated breaks
- Remember to eat healthy balanced meals and snacks
- Also, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- In addition, do some pre-shift stretching and warm-up exercises
- Finally, get adequate rest and sleep when you’re not at work
IMPORTANT: Contact your GP for medical help and treatment if you believe you are suffering from the effects of fatigue.
For more information, visit the Safe Work Australia website.
SAFETY GOES 24/7
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and has an ongoing commitment to safety in the workplace.
We are also proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.
We look forward to bringing you more safety tips as part of our Toolbox Tuesdays.