Wearing face masks to protect against coronavirus has become part of daily life for many people.
Disclaimer: The following information is general in nature and does not take into account your personal situation
MAKE WEARING A MASK YOUR NUMBER ONE TASK
- If you are unknowingly infected a face mask will help reduce the chance that you could spread the virus to others
- Therefore, it is important to know how to put on a mask properly
Tip: A mask should fit securely around the face, specifically covering your nose and mouth areas
ARE MASKS COMPULSORY?
- Victoria has made face masks mandatory
- In the rest of Australia, the wearing of masks has become strongly recommended
Note: Some clients outside VIC may require you to wear a mask
DO’S FOR WEARING A MEDICAL MASK SAFELY
- Firstly, thoroughly wash hands with soap and water before touching the face mask
- Next, check your mask for any tears or holes
- Ensure that the coloured side faces outwards
- Find the top side where the metal piece or stiff edge is, place this over your nose and press to form fit it to your face
- Make sure the mask covers your mouth, nose, and chin
- Adjust to ensure no gaps between your mask and face
- Avoid touching your face mask
- Keep the mask away from you or any surface when removing it
- Use the straps to safely remove the mask and store in a resealable sandwich / zip lock style bag
- Wash your hands after handling your mask
- Finally, pay attention to your mask expiry period and know when to discard it
Tip: It is important to wash or sanitise your hands before putting on and taking off your mask
- Firstly, don’t use a damaged, damp or loose mask as they will not be effective
- Also, never wear the mask only over mouth or nose (both must be covered)
- Do not touch the front of your mask or do other things that will require touching the mask
- Finally, do not leave your used mask within the reach of others OR leave your face mask where it can be contaminated
Important: Remember that masks alone do not protect you from COVID-19. You must still maintain a 1.5m distance from others wherever possible and always wash your hands frequently and thoroughly, even while wearing a mask.
SAFETY GOES 24/7
Labourpower values your health and wellbeing and has an ongoing commitment to safety in the workplace. We are proud to partner with Workactive to bring you safety and wellbeing programs throughout the year.
We look forward to bringing you more safety tips as part of our Toolbox Tuesdays.